Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Another week - another 150 problems solved

Second week of my second circle - now completed 376 problems, so I solved almost 150 in the last week. 150 sounds a reasonable amount, but I had hoped for more. I'm still in the difficulty level 20 section with 264 complete out of 286 and I had hoped to finish this off. Also, they are 20s so they should be quicker ... although I can't solve them almost instantly like the 10s.

So, progress, but not as much as I would have liked. I have been quite busy over the last week though, and didn't devote as much time to chess problems as I would have liked.

I should finish off the remaining 20s over the next day or two and start on the 30s. That will be interesting. At what point will I start getting really bogged down? The prospect of a long grind through tricky problems, with no easy ones for a spot of light relief, doesn't exactly thrill me.

Still, moaning about the more difficult problems aside, I am still having fun. My tactical ability is definitely improving. I am focusing more on the important candidate moves and also able to look deeper into combinations.

Is chess really about seeing how all the pieces interact as a whole and being able to recognise patterns? Previously my thoughts have darted about with a lot of, "if I move this, then he does that, then I can take this" and I miss obvious things. Sometimes now I just try to picture the whole board & all the pieces and the obvious line springs into my mind. Great when it works, but really, really frustrating when your brain refuses to come up with that obvious line!

1 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Is chess really about seeing how all the pieces interact as a whole and being able to recognise patterns?

I strongly believe it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home