Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Well, I didn't make it

I had hoped to finish off my first circle before my holiday. I didn't make it. There just wasn't enough time with packing and what-not, and the problems were too tricky.

I felt down about this. I'd really set myself a target and thought it would be nice to go away for a break before starting my second circle.

Having come back from holiday though it doesn't seem so bad. My wife wouldn't let me take my computer with me so I had the longest break from CT Art since I started this whole Mazza training thing. This allowed me to get a bit more perspective - I was getting too obsessed with finishing the circle and keeping up to an artificial timescale. I'm no where near the original MDLM timescales anyway, so an extra few weeks don't matter. Really it is about two things - having fun and learning chess tactics.

So I've started tackling the rest of my first circle problems with this in mind. As of yesterday I had completed 1188 problems in total and 219 from 266 in the final section ... leaving 47 left.

However, I do have a bit of a hard deadline coming up ... the birth of my daughter who is due on 6th November. I wont' have nearly as much time after that.

I didn't give up chess problems entirely on holiday - I went through a few from Silman's Reassess Your Chess Workbook. I like these. They are a nice balance to the full-on pure tactics stuff ... I get to think about bad bishops and weak pawn chains and stuff rather than "attack the king", "attack the king"!

I also worked out how to solve Su Dokus and read 2/3rds of Greg Bear's excellent Sci-Fi book Eon. Although that's not really chess, is it. Maybe I should feel bad for using up valuable chess learning time?

2 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

The nice thing about chess problems is that they wait untill you come back.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Your schedule seems pretty full to me! I don't worry about finishing circles and just attempt to put in regular time solving TCT problems, but that desire to be complete spontaneously arises on its own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home