Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Completed the 20s

I finished off the remaining twenty or so level 20 difficulty problems yesterday. I decided to try and use my theory about seeing how all the pieces interact as a whole. It worked very well, I got through these problems in record time and only made one mistake.

I also had trouble sleeping the night before last and found myself wide awake at four in the morning. Stressful week at work. So I read a bit of Understanding Chess Move by Move by John Nun - a very nice book which takes some classic games and really goes into detail about what is happening and why ... surprisingly, move by move ;)

I read a game between Kasparov and Karpov. Ruy Lopez opening with Kasparov playing white. I always thought that the Ruy Lopez was a bit boring, but Kasparov won with a vicious attack on black's king. The next day I hammered by chess computer with a similar game. I rarely beat it - usually I make a tactical slip-up somewhere along the way and hang a piece or something, or when I've gained an edge I'll throw it away with an inaccuracy in the end game. But with my chess training I'm definitely getting more accurate. No tactical errors and a knight sacrifice on h5 followed by a bit of king chasing and checkmate.

I've also put a hit counter on my page - courtesy of Bravenet who provide them for free. Interesting to see how many people are actually reading this blog.

2 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I got spyware messages while using Bravenet, so I dismantled it.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Statcounter.com is very good, and free.

I get about 20 unique visitors a day, ranging from 8 (usually Sundays) to about 50 (usually Wednesdays).

Talk about narcissistic. Blogs are narcissistic enough, but to worry about traffic. Egads!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home