Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Over half way through my second circle

As of this morning, I have completed 661 problems in my second circle - so over half way through. I finished the last remaining difficult level 30 problems and have now started tackling the level 40 ones, and have solved the first 44 out of 204.

It is definitely more difficult at this level, and I am slowing down. I now rarely just see the answer, and I have to think about each problem for several minutes. If I haven't got anywhere in 4 minutes, then I'll make a guess and look at the hints. However, this is far more frustrating. For most of the level 10, 20 and 30s I more or less got what the problem was about. The majority of the time with these 40s I don't - and I need the hints.

Here is an example of a level 40 problem that I solved this morning (black to move)



I struggled with this one. I could see some of the threats, but not all of them. And I missed how they all linked together.

After finishing all of my seven circles, will I look back and think this is easy?

6 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger DreadPirateJosh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger DreadPirateJosh said...

Bc2, if Q takes then Rxe1+ winning queen. if R takes then Rxe1 mate. If Knight takes then Qg7 mate.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Druss said...

Yup - although if Q takes, then black Q takes back ...

1 .. Bc2
2 Qxc2 Qxc2
3. Rxc2 Rxe1#

I was looking at this for AGES this morning :)

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger SatishTalim said...

I registered at the site you mentioned as IndianGuru. The site is not user friendly; I can't figure out how to use the site and login!!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger DreadPirateJosh said...

I don't know about your line,
1... Bc2
2 Qxc2 Qxc2
3 Nxc2 (not Rxc2) and its not mate because your rook is covering your back rank.

So it has to be,
1.... Bc2
2 Qxc2 RxN+
3 RxR QxQ and up a Q

Maybe?

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Druss said...

You are right.

This is exactly why I'm stuggling with these 40s! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home