Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Chugging through level 30

I completed 155 out of 221 level 30 problems last week. I did at one stage have hopes of finishing them all, but it was not to be.

It has been difficult transitioning from level 20 to level 30. I had got into the 'got to score 100%' mindset by repeating level 20 until I got them all right, this made trying the level 30s very disappointing.

Still, getting through them more quickly than in my first or second circle.

3 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger phorku said...

I found the level 30 problems pretty challenging. I recently started the level 40 problems and seem to be having an easier time recognizing the idea behind the problem. It is more difficult to get the move order correct and easier to overlook things. I am starting to see that there aren't really any new ideas it is just combinations of the simpler tactics or more 're-arranging' the pieces to make the tactics work. I have been thinking about doing some practice by motif instead of level as there seems to be some types of problems that I always have trouble with. I have been doing some repitition of the easier problems too.

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

Druss said; Still, getting through them more quickly than in my first or second circle.

See! You're starting to improve allready :)

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

I think the step from level 20 to 30 is one of the more dramatic. Level 30 to 40 is more manageable. After level 50 I always found it difficult to keep my brain from melting out my ears ;) Make sure though that you cement the ideas of these problems in your head as best you can. I rushed them, and as a result was suffering pretty badly in the later circles when the problem load was much bigger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home