Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Had another crack at doing level 10

I've been getting a bit bogged down in the level 50 ones. I occasionally get one right, but it is slow going. However, I am very emotionally attached to finishing them - I feel that I should try to reach the stage where I can solve every puzzle in CT Art, even though this might take a very long time.

Just out of interest, and without really thinking that I was giving up on the 50s, I thought I might have another go at running through the 10s.

They were easy! Some of them I definitely remembered, but even with the ones I didn't the answer just jumped out. I felt really on top of them - that's just another easy knight fork. It felt good solving them, and it is much better practicing success than failure.

I completed all 110 problems in 1 hour 15 minutes and scored 92%. The problem with level 10s is that you lose loads of points as a percentage if you get one wrong - one slip and half the points are gone. So I got 11 wrong, but then tried these ones straight away and got them all right a second time. Except one. Problem 86.

Also, I think I found an alternative, equally valid solution for problem 83. This is the first time I have encountered a minor error in CT Art. This is problem 83:



Ct Art says Qf4 Qxf4= . Isn't Qxg6 Kxg6 equally a stalemate?

Maybe I'll start my 3rd circle after all ...

5 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger DG said...

No, the White King can move to g3.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Siliconpawn said...

Maybe just be the very fact that MDLM was smart enough to be able to complete CT-ART problems means that he has chess abilities that the average person may not possess. He certainly had the dedication that most of us don't have, although he hasn't played a rated USCF game in 3 years.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Yeah, isn't it great to get the feedback "Hey, I know this stuff!"

Re position: The g3 square is safe.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Druss said...

Oh yeah. g3!

Still got some chess blindness there :)

I looked at this like about a million times and didn't see g3. Still, nice to know CT Art is correct.

One of MDLM's claims is that pretty much anyone should be able to solve them given enough time. I suppose we are the test of that. Although it is probably tricky to differentiate whether failed knights gave up because of lack of time or lack of ability - you could always claim the former.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

That's possible, although I think of it as both with the right state of mind plus infinite time. I frequently have to break my concentration and start fresh after 20-30 seconds to solve the tough problems - I guess that helps with "sticky" thinking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home