Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Monday, October 10, 2005

OK - definitely started my third circle

Bit of a strange week last week. For the first 4 days I struggled with level 50 in my second circle. I managed to complete about 5 a day, but it was really hard going and I wasn't really fully understanding the problems.

Then I decided to have a bash at the level 10 ones again, as I detailed in my last post. These were much easier, and I rattled through all 110 in just over an hour.

Spurred on, I tried some level 20s. Over the last couple of days I've completed 146 of these, or about half. So that's over 250 easy problems in the second half of the week vs 19 tricky ones in the first half. That's telling me something!

Much as I want to think I can solve all the problems in CT Art - I can't. I have tried hard to struggle through the more difficult ones, but have realised that it will take ages. Reluctant as I am to give up on level 50 plus, I feel I get more benefit from solving the easier ones.

So my revised plan is much like a number of other knights have already concluded - circle round the easy levels in CT Art. I can always come back to the more tricky ones later, and indeed this might be a better way to solve them. The more difficult problems tend to rely on a more simple theme, but with added complications. If I'm not seeing the simple theme all the time, then I'm never going to really understand the complications.

I'm going to get more benefit understanding all the themes well in levels 10, 20 and 30.

2 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Jim said...

I went back through my old posts when I was doing the Circles and I'd recommend adopting an approach similar to mine - either do Spaced Repetitions or simply redo the whole level every day until you own it.

I got to the point where I could do Level 10 in 13 minutes, averaging 7.6 seconds per problem. It got to be the same for Level 20 and thirty. I ended up being able to do Levels 10-30 in under a hour every day.

Level 40 and 50 were much harder because each problem had from 4 to 7 moves, so they didn't go near as fast.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Montse said...

Druss,

There is also another possibility. As CT-art has its own build in engine, you can play the position where you go wrong. The computer will show you why you are wrong, or sometimes it can happen that your idea is second best or is even (although rarely)as good. For instance in certain positions from CT-art you can win material but there are sometimes stronger moves sequences present which leads to mate. CT-art will show you that you are wrong coz you missed the best continuation but winning material is not that bad either. Playing another first move doesn't mean that you have the wrong idea about the position. It might be that you have overlooked something crucial but the main idea you had remains valid. By playing against the computer you will see why he rejects your move. So play your idea (6- 8 ply deep) and you will understand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home