Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Thoughts on more difficult problems

Some interesting feedback on my last post. Phorku described level 30 as 'rearranging the pieces' to make the tactics work, and that there aren't really any new ideas. I think this is spot on.

Pale Morning Dun said that the jump between level 20 and level 30 is one of the more dramatic, and that don't rush the early problems. Again, I agree with this.

Both these made me think that following the plan of stopping early and not completing all the difficult problems above 50+ is good. Also, repeating the erroneous problems on levels 10 and 20 until I got them right is worth while. When I first read about these two approaches I was sceptical. Shouldn't tactical training be about solving all the problems in CT Art? I thought this approach of stopping early was wimping out. Now I'm glad I've switched. Yes, it is about solving all of them eventually, but the easier problems feel like the foundation.

1 Comments:

At 2:15 AM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

From my experience level, everything above level 50 was a nightmare and very discouraging, especially when the paced picked up. I think holding at level 50 is a really good idea. Some have even advocated circling 10-30 levels until your percentages are way up, and then moving on to the higher levels. I think this is reasonable too, but quite frankly, you want to have some time to play some chess, and not just do problems all day long. There was a two month period during the cirlces when I think I managed all of three or four long games. I would not do that again, as I think part of the process of getting your tactical ability working is actually playing games, not just doing problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home