Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Finished the level 30s

For the fourth time. Slower than the 20s, but not too bad and I scored 72%. I'm now going to go back over the erroneous ones and repeat them. After that I'll try a few 40s, then maybe cycle back through the 10, 20 and 30s.

I had a bit of a think about where I'm improving. As a number of other knights have observed, there is definitely a pattern recognition thing going on. Especially around sacrificial attacks on the king's pawn shelter! But I'm also improving my look-ahead capability. I can see slightly further than I used to.

I recently subscribed to New In Chess, partly as a result of following (on www.chessbase.com) Toppy win the recent World Championship. The first edition of New In Chess that I received was heavily focused on this event. I am finding it easier to follow annotated games - MDLM said that, didn't he? - not that I really understand what's going on in them though! I was surprised about just how tactical the world championship games appeared. Some of the openings seemed crazy, I would feel very exposed and nervous playing them. The top chess players at the World Championship seem to be able to effortlessly combine tactics with a real mastery of the game. It is not what I would call strategy necessarily (or at least what I think of as strategic play), more exactly knowing when to swap that duff old rook for that knight.

2 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger DreadPirateJosh said...

"I was surprised about just how tactical the world championship games appeared"

I second that feeling (from watching live games on ICC and the playchess server (with live commentary).

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Congrats on your Circles progress Druss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home