Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Good progress with CT Art on my pocket PC

I completed the level 20 problems (for the fifth time) last week, and started on the level 30s. I've completed about 60 of these so far - the pocket PC is proving to be an excellent way of solving CT Art problems. It is far more portable than a PC, and the slight limitations don't bother me. I'm finding that I can get more problem solving hours in each day as a result.

However my circles are becoming blurred. This is only my fourth cycle through the level 30s, and I've been through the level 10s six times. I've decided not to focus on a strict 7 times through in 7 circles approach. I'm going to cycle through each level enough times until I can solve the problems almost straight away ... or quickly enough so that I could sit down and do several hundred in a day. So I'm retaining MDLM's end goal of trying to have a final circle in which I solve all the problems in one day, but not sticking to a rigid 7 times through to achieve this, and also not trying to solve all the CT Art problems - capping it at level 50s probably.

Is it working? The continual question :) My online play isn't improving much, I think that focusing on tactical puzzles creates bad habits for real play. My sense of danger is not heightened enough - I think that I've got the superior tactical position and that the other side hasn't really got anything. Playing through the chess problems, even when oppo has a tactical shot you can always get yours in first! If only this were true in actual games ...

5 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger funkyfantom said...

I have to disagree slightly with your comment that CT-ART doesn't help you keep up your sense of danger.

In many of the positions, if you don't play a forcing move, you get mated yourself, or else they show you Crafty's refutation of your "not-the-best" move.

That is annoying enough for me to always look at the other sides' possibilities in CT_ART.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Druss said...

Ah, but when you solve CT Art problems you don't really have to think about being a pawn or two up. Usually you are playing for a mate, or winning a major piece. Occasionally it is just to win a minor piece, but never a pawn. So I find that I don't think about pieces being en prise so much.

Also, when the other side has a forced checkmate I find it is actually easier. Because I know all I have to do is find my better solution. And I know that I've got to start off with a check, so I don't feel danger.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

It is always good to find arguments in the aftermath of a purchase:)

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

You should see your play improving even while doing the circles. It isn't until AFTER you do the circles that you begin to see some real improvement, and that only when combined with OTHER types of chess study (strategy in particular). My FICS rating has gone up over 100 pts recently after finishing the circles and having done some intensive work with CTS. My OTB rating hasn't moved a whole lot, I have beaten my first Class A player and almost all of my errors that have led to lost games recently have been due to poor strategic decisions.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger psalcido said...

Generally I look to see if I have a tactical shot, then see if my opponent does. If I can't resolve one quickly, then I start looking for basic positional play.

The nice bonus about all this study is that I notice tactics far faster than I did originally, so I spend the same amount of time and catch more, or I spend less time catching the same amount of information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home